A Healthy New Year – Living Well with Lenny!
Living Well with Lenny
Exodus Parent Advisory Board – Nutrition Mentor, Lenny Rivera offers her top 7 tips to start the year on the healthy track.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks. Sodas and sugary drinks increase the caloric intake and do not add any nutritional value.
- If you think you are eating enough fruits and vegetables add some more to your diet. The body needs lots of fiber to maintain a healthy digestive system.
- Substitute sugar for honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar.
- Instead of using pre-prepared seasoning packets make your own seasoning this way you can make sure it is made with natural ingredients and you can control the amount of salt used.
- Choose foods with less than 5% of the daily value of sodium per serving.
- Avoid canned foods since they have high amounts of sodium, but if you must use them, drain them and rinse them thoroughly to reduce the amount of sodium in your food.
- Consume more whole grains instead of refined grains such as brown rice instead of white rice or whole wheat bread instead of white bread or whole wheat pasta instead of regular pasta.
To get you motivated, Lenny offers this easy to make a dish to add vegetables to your diet:
Picture provided by lowcarbyum.com
Cauliflower Rice by Lenny Rivera
This delicious rice helps increase the consumption of vegetables and can be served with any meat.
½ cauliflower washed and cut into pieces
½ onion, diced
¼ red pepper, diced
¼ green pepper, diced
2 bouquets of chopped cilantro
½ tablespoon of oil (preferably coconut)
Salt and pepper to taste
Crush the cauliflower in a food processor
Heat in a sauté pan the oil and add the peppers, onion, and cauliflower.
Once cooked (when the vegetables are softened) add salt and pepper and top it all with the cilantro.
We hope these tips and recipe motivates you to be a healthy you this year!